Treat yourself and the family with this delicious Sweetheart Soup with Shallots, Streaky Bacon, and Sage recipe, plus discover many other easy recipes at 24/7 Mom.
Sweetheart Soup with Shallots, Streaky Bacon, and Sage
- olive oil extra virgin
- 2 shallots peeled and finely choped
- 1 carrot trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 stick celery trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic peeled and finely chopped
- 3 slices streaky bacon or pancetta sliced into small cubes
- 1 sweetheart cabbage trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh sage leaves finely chopped
- 33.8 fl oz vegetable stock
- sea salt and pepper
- fresh shavings of parmiggiano reggiano
- Heat some olive oil in a heavy soup pot, and add the finely chopped shallots, carrot, celery, garlic, and bacon. Mix the vegetables well, and season with salt and pepper. Sweat the vegetables until soft, adding a little water to help create steam. Make sure the vegetables do not crisp and burn by adding a little additional water, and stirring.
- When the vegetables are soft, add the cabbage slices and the sage. Mix well. Add the stock, bring the soup to the boil and then lower the heat. Within five minutes the soup will be ready.
- Pour the soup into warm serving bowls and then sprinkle fresh Parmiggiano reggiano shavings on top.