Treat yourself and the family with this delicious Cabbage Braised with Shallots and Pancetta recipe, plus discover many other easy recipes at 24/7 Mom.
Cabbage Braised with Shallots and Pancetta
- 1 cabbage core & outer leaves removed and cut into 8-10 wedges
- knob of butter
- 9.6 fl oz vegetable stock (fresh or from a cube)
- 4 shallots finely sliced
- 8 slices pancetta roughly chopped
- In a large frying pan heat the butter till sizzling then cook the pancetta till brown and crisp. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and allow to drain on some kitchen paper. Add the shallots to the pan and cook gently for 6-8 minutes until they are caramelized and soft, remove from the pan to the kitchen paper.
- Arrange the cabbage wedges in the pan (add a little more butter if necessary) and cook on each side till brown and caramelize, turn them gently so they don't break up. Pour in the vegetable stock to half way up the cabbage. Return the shallots to the pan and season to taste.
- Cook the cabbage for 10-12 minutes gently turning half way through. The cabbage should be tender and the stock reduced, serve 2 wedges per person drizzled with the braising liquid and scattered with pancetta.
- Note: This recipe is delicious with roast chicken and mash potato, it also works well with White Cabbage. Also try adding finely shredded raw white cabbage or sweetheart cabbage to salads to add a lovely crunch.