Baby’s got no chewing power? You can still give your little one a taste treat with this seasonal recipe by “Iron Chef” and mom Cat Cora. Cat adapted this recipe from one she had created for grown-ups. “I make it every year – it ‘s a favorite of the whole family,” she says. “I make it every holiday and even when it is not the holidays!”
Caramelized Sweet Potatoes Baby Food Recipe
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp thyme chopped fine
- 2/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tbsp key lime juice regular fresh lime juice is fine too
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees for 20 minutes.
- Wrap the sweet potatoes in foil and bake them for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil, wait until the potatoes are cool enough to be handled, then slice them into 1/2 inch slices.
- Use the vegetable oil to coat a 9" by 13" ovenproof baking pan (preferably glass). Layer the potato slices in the pan.
- Mix the remaining ingredients in a small bowl and drizzle over the potatoes.
- Cover the potatoes with foil and bake them in a 350 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until they are barely tender. Remove the foil and bake the potatoes for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, until the coating starts to crisp up.
- Puree the potatoes with a food processor until smooth and serve.