Treat yourself and the family with this delicious Brussels Sprouts Bruschetta recipe, plus discover many other easy recipes at 24/7 Mom.
Brussels Sprouts Bruschetta
- 20 brussels sprouts peeled, trimmed and sliced in half
- olive oil
- 1 clove garlic peeled and finely chopped
- 3.5 oz hazelnuts coarsely chopped
- 5 Duke of york or Pink Fir potatoes cooked with their skins and chopped into small pieces
- 4 slices good quality buthcher's ham in small shreds
- 4 slices good quality sourdough bread
- 4.2 oz Parmiggiano reggiano grated
- 1 tbsp fresh or dried oregano finely chopped
- Steam the Brussels sprout pieces in a double boiler till quite soft, but still bright green. Place on a clean food tray, to spread out and stop the steaming. Set aside.
- Take a heavy saute pan, heat some oil and gently sweat the garlic and onion until soft. Add some salt and a little water to allow the garlic to steam slowly. When the vegetables are soft, add the chopped hazelnuts, the potato pieces and the ham. Mix well.
- Add the soft Brussels sprouts. Taste for seasoning, adding more sea salt and pepper if you want to. Then place a lid on the pan, and set aside somewhere warm.
- Take the 4 slices of bread, drizzle with a little olive oil on both sides, and toast under the grill. Alternatively, you can just toast the bread without olive oil in a normal toaster, and then drizzle a little olive oil on top.
- Place a toasted bread slice on each of four serving plates. Spoon the Brussels sprout mixture on top, generously. Sprinkle on the grated Parmiggiano Reggiano and oregano on top and serve.