Treat yourself and the family with this delicious Gizzi Erskine’s BBQ Rib Eye with Grilled Asparagus and Teriyaki Sauce recipe, plus discover many other easy recipes at 24/7 Mom.
Gizzi Erskine's BBQ Rib Eye with Grilled British Asparagus and Teriyaki Sauce
For the Teriyaki sauce
- 2.5 fl oz soy sauce
- 2.5 fl oz mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
- 2.5 fl oz sake
- 1 tbsp sugar
For the rest
- 10.6 oz rib eye steaks (pieces of 5.3 oz each)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil plus a dash more for cooking the asparagus
- sea salt & black pepper
- 1 packet asparagus trimmed of woody ends
- 1 pinch Togerashi seasoning (optional, you could use cayenne pepper)
- white and black sesame seeds to serve
- To make the Teriyaki sauce, combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Stir the mixture well. Put it on medium heat and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for a couple minutes. Stop the heat and cool the mixture. It's now ready to use but if you have any left you can store the sauce in a clean bottle in the fridge.
- Rub the steaks with the oil, salt, and pepper. Grill the steaks on a hot barbecue for 2 minutes on each side so that they're medium rare. Leave to rest. While the beef is resting rub the asparagus with a little oil then lay on the barbecue grill for 2-3 minutes, turning every now and then until they start to soften but still have 'bite' and have little chars on them.
- Split the asparagus between two plates. Carve the steaks into 1 cm strips and lay on top of the Asparagus pouring over the meat juices left from resting. Cover each steak with a few tablespoons of Teriyaki sauce and sprinkle with the Togerashi if using and sesame seeds.