This rich and chocolatey cake has a secret healthy ingredient that makes it incredibly moist and delicious: beets! The inclusion of the root vegetable might seem like a head scratcher, but trust us, it works like magic to create the ultimate chocolate cake recipe. This is one you’re going to want to hang onto, so be sure to bookmark this page or pin it.
Our Ultimate Chocolate Cake
- 8.8 oz plain cooked (vacuum packed) beetroot drained & pureed
- 7 oz quality dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
- 7 oz plain flour
- 7 oz unsalted butter melted
- 3.5 oz dark brown sugar
- 3.5 oz white sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F. Grease and line a 9 inch loose bottomed cake tin.
- Break the chocolate into pieces and put in a food processor. Blitz until crumbed but not totally powdered - some larger pieces will give the cake a great texture.
- Add the beetroot and blend together. Then add the remaining ingredients to the processor and whizz until well mixed. Pour into the prepared cake tin and lightly level out the surface.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. The surface of the cake may have cracked a little. Allow the cake to cool for a few minutes in the tin before removing to a cooling rack.
- Dust lightly with powdered sugar and serve in wedges. For dessert, this cake is great with a little creme fraiche on the side.